Positive Pressure Ventilation Study will Help Firefighters World-Wide
Greatly improving the fire service’s understanding of positive pressure ventilation and attack and furthering its safe and effective use, UL Firefighter Safety Research Institute (FSRI) has released the results of their huge, multi-year study.
Fire dynamics has changed dramatically during the nearly three decades we have been manufacturing Ventry® PPV Fans. Tactics must also evolve! This study is a huge step in the right direction. The materials created from it are credible, science-based, and brand-neutral; we believe these can improve ventilation safety and efficacy in the fire service world wide:
- Online PPA/PPV training course - Complete training is 2 hours; the abbreviated course is 1 hour. Choose the course that works for you! 
- Summary report for the fire service [2, 3]
- Complete report on the PPV study 
Also, an exceptional summary of the study’s findings titled, “PPA Deconstructed - UL FSRI experiments reveal the value of ventilation” by panelist Nick Ledin, is available online from FireRescue Magazine.
Two supplements we created for your convenience and complete citations are at the bottom of this page.
VSI’s Participation in the PPV Study
Having manufactured PPV fans since the late 1980s and always striving to make exceptional tools that save lives, we are grateful for this study. We will work to share other aspects of this important work and are studying the material and training carefully.
Anecdote. Ventry Solutions, Inc. provided several Ventry® Positive Pressure Fans for the UL study, one of which delayed an experiment when it rolled the carpet up in the living room of the structure!
For the study itself, the Technical Panel chose wisely to use an “average” fan [2 p17] [4 p70]. Though disappointed that our brand would not appear in all the photos, we are proud that ours is definitely NOT an average fan! A Ventry Fan is shown in the online training course, however, to demonstrate fan tilt and placement (see the screen shot above) [1a].
For fun, we have posted photos from the study, taken by our CEO and panelist, James Neils, during the tests.
Original Sources and Extras
“Positive Pressure Attack.” This is a free online training course presented by UL FSRI and intended for fire service members worldwide. Last accessed 4-4-2017 <http://www.ulfirefightersafety.org/wp-content/uploads/Courses/PPV/story.html>
(a) See Module 5, Tactical Considerations, 3 - Exhaust Size is More Important Than Fan Location. Last accessed 4-4-2017.
- “Fire Service Summary Report.” 70 pages. This is the condensed version of the study for fire/rescue. Originally accessed 4-4-2017. <http://ulfirefightersafety.org/projects_blog/ul-fsri-releases-final-reports-on-ppappv/>
- “Fire Service Summary Report” reformatted to print on fewer pages, for those with good eye site. Posted 4-16-2016 as a courtesy by VSI. <http://ventry.pics/pdfs/positive-pressure-attack/ULFSRI_PPV_FD_Summary_Report_20160418_fit-to-35-pages.pdf>
- “Study of the Effectiveness of Fire Service Positive Pressure Ventilation During Fire Attack in Single Family Homes Incorporating Modern Construction Practices.” The complete report, 876 pages. By Robin Zevotek and Stephen Kerber of UL’s FSRI. Originally accessed 4-16-2016 from <http://www.ulfirefightersafety.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Positive_Pressure_Ventilation_Report_Website.pdf>
- Executive Summary of the full scientific report. 2 pages. Posted 4-16-2016 as a courtesy by VSI. <http://ventry.pics/pdfs/positive-pressure-attack/ULFSRI_Executive_Summary_from_PPV_Full_Report_20160419.pdf>
- This article is compiled from two separate UL press releases: UL FSRI Releases Final Reports on PPA/PPV and UL FSRI Launches Positive Pressure Attack Online Training Program).
Share this post
Latest News & Articles
ON SALE: Backup Bulbs (750W Halogens)
While supplies last, our 750 watt high-output halogen bulbs are on sale for half price. These are used in Lentry Lights with Optup and 2-Headed Optup halogens.
Battery-Powered Ventilation Fans
In fire fighting, battery powered fans are popular right now. We discuss our concerns and why we continue to solve our customers' ventilation needs with gasoline and electric PPV Fans.
PPV Study Results and Online Training
Excellent online training on positive pressure ventilation and attack (PPV and PPA) is now available as the result of the multi-year UL FSRI study on PPV. Please share these resources among fire/rescue colleagues.
Stay in touch
We’d love to hear from you and will be happy to answer your questions and assist you with our products. Call (888) 257-8967.